Is grinding permitted?

Grinding is not recommended as a sidewalk replacement/repair process by the City, if the damage is being caused by a tree root.. However, the City does not prohibit the practice with the following limitations:

  • Only panels that are raised may be ground and the vertical limit of grinding is a maximum of 1 ¼ inches.
  • Grinding is at the property owner's risk. If unsuccessful, the sidewalk must be replaced.
  • Permits are needed for grinding, and, the property owner must receive an inspection by City Engineer's Office to comply with the sidewalk replacement notice/order.
  • The City standard for sidewalk grinding, is as follows: for every ¼ inch the panel is raised the panel shall be ground back a minimum of 1 inch from the vertical edge. (Example: a panel which is raised 1 inch; the grinding shall extend 4 inches onto the raised panel). The City Engineer's Office shall have authority to accept or reject the grinding repair.

Show All Answers

1. Why was the sidewalk painted with pink paint?
2. What does the paint marking on the sidewalk mean?
3. At a street intersection, if the corner panel or pedestrian ramp are marked, who will pay for that?
4. Can the cost of the sidewalk repair be added to the property taxes?
5. How much will it cost if the city does the work?
6. How does the city cost compare with private contractors?
7. Will the city contractor replace sidewalk that was not marked?
8. Who can do the sidewalk repair work?
9. How do I find a contractor?
10. Who gets the permit?
11. What if a tree root lifted the sidewalk?
12. Is mud-jacking permitted?
13. Is grinding permitted?
14. Can the property owners mix their own concrete?